Cost Control Analyst (Shipping/Maritime)
Our client European ship owner that has his group finance headquarters in Singapore.
The role is within the Financial Control (FinCon) in Singapore and is responsible for the accounting, cost control & management of vessel capital expenditure and operating cost across various segment of the shipping group. The Senior Accounts Executive (Cost Control)will also be required to support the process controls set in place by the financial process team.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The role holder assists in budgeting, accounting, monitoring and reporting of:
1. VESSEL CAPITAL EXPENDITURE (CAPEX)
• Maintain Vessel CAPEX using Oracle Projects module for capitalization with an understanding of contracts, budget vs actual cost and report on group committed capital expenditure.
• Liaise with the Fixed Asset Lead to ensure proper recognition of capital expenditure in line with group’s accounting policy.
• Monthly review, account and reconciliation of project in progress cost from commencement to completion with proper accruals and classification of cost.
• Any other assigned tasks
2. MONITORING OF VESSEL BUDGETS AND OPERATING COSTS (OPEX)
• Collaborate with Technical Managers on the annual budgeting exercise and process budget data upload into Oracle system.
• Participates in Budget / DRC presentations / monthly review. This includes preparing materials for the presentation, answering queries as required and taking notes.
• Monthly accounting of cost inputs from Third Party Ship managers through an automated monthly file submission/receiving process.
• Reviews expenditure reports received from Third Party Managers and highlights significant variances between the budget and the actual costs. Monthly reconciliation of costs within internal systems and external reports.
• Calculate monthly Lube Inventory, consumption balances for vessels. Assist in the preparation of yearly lube oil cost evaluation.
• Review and ensure financial delegation are being followed and work with various department for compliance.
• Prepares various regular and ad-hoc reports for Management information on Cost and expenditures, economic indices etc.
• Develop / implement / revise various maintenance cost & financial procedures as required to ensure proper allocation of costs, reporting of cost, etc.
• Provide professional advice and guidance to all Personnel with respect to Cost and Financial matters.
• Undertakes other similar or related tasks and duties as directed by his / her Manager.
3. PROCESS AND PROCEDURE CONTROLS
• Examine current processes against operational requirements to improve efficiencies.
• Identify opportunities to increase automation, improve accuracy and reduce the amount of time required to complete tasks.
• Manage controls and documentation of financial applications.
• Ability to identify cost-saving measures and improvement strategies.
• Perform ongoing analyses on business processes related to productivity, quality, costs, and time management.
• Assist on preparations / modification of business process documentation.
• Ability to conduct analysis of organization processes in line with industry regulations.
QUALIFICATION / EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in finance / management / accountancy or ACCA or equivalent
• 3 – 5 years work experience in oil & gas/maritime industry
• Working knowledge of cost control fundamentals and accounting standards to ensure appropriate recording of expenses and process flow maintenance in marine/shipping industry
• Preference to prior experience in Oracle Projects, GL modules / Accounting software / Microsoft sui
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills as this role require active cross-functional dialogue with internal and external stake holders
• Good understanding of cost treatment for various project types (New Building / Bare-Boat / Insurance / Dry-Docking / Other capex projects)
• Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
• Proficient in excel, SmartView and other business intelligence tools
• Able to work independently and as a team
• Meticulous, inquisitive and attention to detail