We are currently retained for an exciting new shipping technology with the potential to be one of the simplest, safest, and most affordable solutions for zero-emissions shipping.
If you are a Marine Engineer/Naval Architect with prior experience managing retrofits, especially scrubbers; we look forward to hearing from you.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will have significant influence over all stages of the development process of a novel ship-based carbon capture system, from R&D, design, and prototyping, to manufacturing scale-up and installations.
What You’ll Do:
- Fully own the integration of the system with the marine vessel, from design to production
- Design and/or oversee the design of the onboard arrangement and retrofit of a given ship to accommodate the capture equipment, piping, conveyor systems, etc.
- Be responsible for the integration between the carbon capture unit and the vessel’s exhaust system and power system
- Help define and execute the engineering development roadmap, from prototype and pilot to manufacturing scale-up and commercialization
- Collaborate with other engineers on the team, help grow and build a strong engineering culture and team
- Work closely with customers, suppliers, contractors, and partners to accelerate product development
- Anything else that needs to be done in an early-stage startup
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
We are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline plus 6+ years of work experience or 8+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in one or more of the following: retrofit projects, design of marine scrubbers or other marine equipment, working with/in shipyards, offshore engineering
- Significant experience, knowledge, and/or network in the commercial shipping sector
- Extensive experience designing, building, integrating, and/or testing mechanical, electrical, and fluid systems in marine environments, with a focus on manufacturability
- Ability to integrate multiple subsystems from disciplines outside of your own into a cohesive solution, and the ability to work with other fields for design integration
- Someone who is resourceful, ambitious, excited to tackle hard problems that no one has solved before, and holds themselves and others to a high standard
- Someone who is passionate about decarbonizing the shipping industry and tackling the climate crisis
- Ability to operate effectively with high degrees of uncertainty and to execute tasks against tight timelines and aggressive schedules
Good to have skills:
- Experience leading the development of a new hardware product/technology in the marine industry
- Experience owning significant responsibility in a fast-paced working environment
- Experience working with classification societies for technology approval
- Strong hands-on capability with CAD and finite element analysis (FEA) software packages
- Fabrication and assembly experience
- Exposure to electronics and controls
- Experience with bulk solids handling
- Willingness to relocate to the UK